Friday, December 23, 2011

#2 for #4

Felicity has another ear infection.  She has been fussy (sigh) but it's impossible to say she is MORE fussy or LESS fussy, she's just a fussy old person!  But the thing that seems consistent when she's sick with these ear infections is that she's awake in the night.  I was talking to my friend Rachael yesterday when Mike was at the doctor and the girls were with my mother.  I only mention that I was alone in the house because I don't think it's happened since I've been home from the hospital and that's weird.  It makes me unable to think or process anything.  Like, I was saying to Rachael, "she was up for 2.5 hours last night, and she wasn't fussy, so I don't think it's another ear infection.  She would just drink from the bottle and then stop after a very short time".  Rachael was like, um, like maybe it BOTHERED her to suck on the bottle?  DUH.  As we were talking, I thought, holy crap, I bet she has another one! and sure enough she does.

Our pediatrician, who is a pretty good age, said he can count on ONE HAND the times he's seen a baby this small with two ear infections.  Really?  Really, world?  It's like I can't count on anything.  I can't just KNOW something and KNOW how to be a mother.  It's very annoying and frustrating.

Anyways, we are on day two of the antibiotic, which I try twice a day to get into her gullet but it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE.  She hoardes it and spits it right out.  I wonder if she has trouble getting anything in her.  Like, she couldn't nurse well and she's a MESS with the bottle and now the antibiotic.  I mean, I could see with an older baby, who would consciously try to spit it out but she's not doing that.  It's like she holds everything in the back of her throat and then it just runs out of her mouth.  I've decided that if she has another ear infection before she's six months old I'm going to take her to a Pediatric ENT doctor.  I HATE the thought of someone poking around in there if it's not anything but I am not a person who is going to wait and see anymore.

But I will say this for her tenth (eleventh?) week:  she is getting smilier and nicer.  It's not often, but it's sometimes that she will smile and just ... be there, without being upset and it is so nice.  It can really go a long way.  Also I'm grateful that if I'm not going to sleep, I can at least have as much caffeine as I want.

Today I'm home with the girls and Felicity has been sleeping on her own long enough so I could shower and get dressed and write this, so that's good, especially considering the fact that Maria is so freaking loud that even if she's downstairs, rooms away, her piercing voice goes right through the center of your head and makes you want to jump out the window to get away from it.  Or perhaps that's just me.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you are going through. Sounds just like Max when he was a baby. The problem with him was the antibotic couldn't get behind the ear enough to do anything. We were in the office a few times where he had to get two shots in his legs which were antibotics. I would def take her if she gets another one to the Pedi ENT and if she does have to get tubes it makes a world of difference. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete