Monday, August 29, 2011

Baby Things

What are some of my favorite gifts I've gotten when I've had a baby?  I'd have to start with Anthony, because that's the last time that I really asked for and picked out things, and that was six long years ago, hmmmm.  I didn't even know what to ask for, now that I think about it.

With Maria, I got the obnoxiously named, but life-saving My Brest Friend nursing pillow.  A blogger that I love to read said that she slept in a chair with her baby, like a recliner, and she put pillows around herself so she was kind of sitting up all night, nursing, but sleeping too.  Because I needed to sleep more with Maria than I did with Anthony - largely because I had to care for *Anthony*, too, when Maria was a baby, I started sleeping in the chair.  But I didn't know what to DO with her, like I was afraid I'd tuck her away with a pillow.  Sometimes I am so tired when I have a newborn that I do crazy things.  Like one night I heard Anthony cry and I went to go and nurse him, but instead of picking HIM up from the crib, I picked up my pillow and sat down in the chair with it.  Luckily my mom was there and she was all, um, that's not the baby!  Ha!  Anyways, this nursing pillow really was great because I could clip it to me and it had a little shelf for her to lie on and she wouldn't roll away.

My mom bought me some size small Fuzzi Bunz cloth diapers when I was pregnant with Veronica and that was great, because I had sold my size smalls right after Maria got out of them.  Isn't that funny, that at one point I had Maria, and I must have thought, well I guess I won't have any more kids, I better get rid of their stuff!  Ha!  I only ever use Fuzzi Bunz diapers, they work well for us and I don't like to get too crazy about cloth diapers, or else I'll end up buying every new or cute diaper that I see and that will not have the money-saving effect that I am after.

Oh!  I love sleepers that zip up, NOT the ones that snap.  I don't care what they look like, although I have to say I got some super cute Hanna Andersson sleepers at Costco for Veronica several months ago that were feetless and I kind of liked them better.  It's always warm in our upstairs, I never worry about my kids being too cold.  I like them to be not too hot, it seems like it's always stuffy and warm in our upstairs.  Note:  I would never buy HA stuff that wasn't at Costco or at a garage sale or something.  I don't have it in me to spend $25 on one sleeper.  One that is more than likely going to get pooped on, or spit up on, or something.  Sheesh.

One thing I'd like to try is a Sleepy Wrap, and lucky for me they were on sale today on Zulilly, so I bought on for like $21, which is good.  It's just like a Moby Wrap, which I loved, but apparently it has more spandex so it's tighter, which is good for a newborn, especially now that my hands have to be free-er than ever.

Also, I hear great things about these blankets.  I think Target has a version of them, but I haven't been to Target alone in a long time so I can look for them.  I love to swaddle a newborn and I have always loved the Amazing Miracle Blanket but I have to say Anthony liked it best, and probably needed it most.  The girls were just swaddled for a short time when they were teensy, Anthony was only unswaddled after he was like seven or eight months old.

I like those kimono type shirts on a baby, and little cotton pants.  I like a soft hat but my kids can rarely wear a newborn size.  They have the Big Heads real bad.  :)

I am thinking of doing a combo Christmas card/birth announcement with this one - it's my first October baby, so I think the timing is good.  Maybe I'll send them out right after Thanksgiving?  I always get my cards through Shutterfly, I like them the best.  I also got Veronica's weekly pictures poster done there, I think the quality is great.

What else.  For myself I want to get some nice soft socks and a nice pair of pajamas to wear at the hospital and also as my uniform for the first few weeks.  I used to have a great pair from Target but I seriously wore them out. Pajamas!  Who does that?

I can't believe it's six weeks away.  I am so big - I'm going to the doctor on Friday and I'm scared I'm going to be measuring bigger than ever and they're going to ... I don't know what, make me feel like a circus freak or something.  I have to see a different doctor than my doctor because that's how they're doing things now, which sucks because I am having a scheduled csection and what is the point, really?  Also I am going to declare my unwillingness to have that stupid Strep Test and see how that goes.  I asked Mike what can they do, strap me down and rip off my clothes to swipe my whole underside with a large qtip?  He wasn't really any help, I was hoping as an ATTORNEY, he'd be all, "they cannot take away your rights!", but instead he said "um, I don't think they could strap you down".  Not very reassuring!

No comments:

Post a Comment