Friday, December 12, 2014

Almost Christmas

A few weeks ago, when the girls had off from school the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, I took them all three bowling with another friend of mine and her charge, who is 12, and a friend of hers who brought his two kids, who were like eight and six.  We all had a really good time, Felicity "bowled", where you put the ball up on a ramp, for most of the first game (we played two) and then she got really over it, but she spent the rest of the time looking at this Christmas tree that was set up in the bowling alley.  She was so intrigued by it, she just kept walking around and around it, she was so into it.  I wondered aloud what she was doing and my friend Jill pointed out that she probably didn't really remember the tree from last year, which is true!  Lord, it is so complicated, I feel like every day I'm going to lose my mind with this kid and she will never remember it!  She probably won't even remember standing there looking at the tree for so long, but she is clearly really happy in the moment, so is that good?  Does that matter?  I do not even know.

We are home now, on Friday afternoon.  She and I went to ballet this morning, after a two week break.  A two week break, I found out this morning, was way too long, no one could even remember what to do in the recital and Felicity especially wanted nothing to do with it.  She was upset that I was there, it got her all messed up and she ended up barely doing anything but whatever.  She is only three, it's no big deal.  Then we went to Chic Fil A and met Jill and her nephew Max, who is just her age, a few months older, but he is completely potty trained, which is a whole nother thing for us.

She refuses and I mean refuses to potty train.  This week she has started to - well, say she's naked, which she is a lot, she will have to go, I will SEE her realize she has to go and she storms over to me and says I NEED A DIAPER!  I say, you don't need a diaper, you need to sit on the potty, let's sit on the potty and Go!, come on, it will be great!  And she freaks out and screams and cries and eventually I'm afraid she's going to lose her mind so I put a diaper on it and she fills it right up with pee.  It is beyond infuriating.  I am so, so sick of telling people what to do with their waste and having them DISAGREE with me!  I'm 46!, I want to tell her, I know what you should be doing!  Mike says that it will get better, he says she is doing all the steps except, you know, actually going on the potty, and he's right but ugh.  As I said, infuriating.

She likes to stick her fingers in my mouth and count my teeth.  She likes to make shapes with her hands and make me guess what they are.  Today I guess "rectangle" and she told me with a withering stare, "no!  oval!".  Right now she can't find a drumstick and she wants one so I have to go but that's your update.  She is fine.  Adorable.  Infuriating.  Won't remember a bit of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment